Please note, due to COVID-19, the Department of Pediatrics is currently not accepting visiting resident/fellow applications for the immediate future.
The Pediatric Medical Education Office welcomes your questions and comments regarding our educational training programs within the Department of Pediatrics at the University of Chicago. Our office oversees the education and compliance for all trainees within the Department of Pediatrics. We oversee all visiting fourth year medical students, Pediatric Residents, Pediatric Fellows, and visiting residents and fellows.
Please find details below regarding the Visiting Resident/Fellow Rotation Application Process:
The Department of Pediatrics welcomes eligible Residents and Fellows to apply for visiting clinical electives. All applications will be reviewed and scheduled based on availability.
*Note to applicants - a completed application does not guarantee acceptance. Please do not make any travel arrangements until you are confirmed through the Pediatric Medical Education Office.
- Resident/Fellow must be currently enrolled within an ACGME-accredited Residency or Fellowship
- Complete application must be received at least 10-weeks in advance of but no earlier than 16-weeks in advance of target start date
FYI - If your home institution requires a Program Letter of Agreement (PLA) to be completed and approved prior to the start of your rotation, per recently updated UCM GME Policy, you should expect AT LEAST THREE MONTHS to review an agreement set on our UCM PLA template, and AT LEAST SIX MONTHS if your home institution prefers to use their own template.
Application and Approval Process
We must receive all of the following in order to review eligibility:
- Complete application with specific rotation dates requests - signed by applicant and home institution Program Director - Please note, this application has been updated and is now electronically fillable - UCM GME will only accept this application moving forward
- Copy of current State of Illinois medical license (temporary or permanent) - UCM GME will aid out-of-state applicants in the Illinois licensing process once application is approved
- Letter from Applicant's Program Director stating:
- Resident/Fellow's good standing
- Malpractice coverage ($1,000,000/$3,000,000), salary, health, and life insurance will continue for the length of the rotation at UCM
- Resident/Fellow has successfully trained in HIPAA Compliance
- Health Screening Requirements (up-to-date) - see application for full details (as of October 1, 2017 - all visiting residents/fellows must also provide proof of flu vaccination)
- Copy of ECFMG Certificate (for International Medical School Graduates)
- Proof of Valid Visa Status for non-US citizens
- Recent Photograph
- Review the HIPAA Summary (attached to application) and submit the signed HIPAA Attestation form to GME
If your application is approved, all visiting Residents/Fellows will be required to schedule and attend an EPIC training session at the University of Chicago prior to the start of their rotation. Based on EPIC knowledge, this may range from an online assessment to a full-day in-person training. This will be coordinated and scheduled in conjunction with the Pediatric Medical Education Office.
Additionally, all rotating residents and fellows will be required to attend a mandatory occupational medicine appointment before starting clinical service.
Please contact the Pediatric Medical Education Office with any questions and send all completed application materials to us for processing.
Email all completed materials in pdf format to VisitingPedsRotation@peds.bsd.uchicago.edu