Our patients are the heart of our residency program, and our residents become pediatric experts by caring for children in a variety of clinical settings:
- 5,000 patients admitted annually from the Chicago area, the Midwest, and around the world
- Outpatient clinics accommodate nearly 37,000 general pediatric and specialty visits annually
- More than 30,000 pediatric emergency room visits each year.
- More than 170 highly trained pediatricians, as well as specially trained nurses and caring support staff, who work together to provide general and specialty medical care for newborns to young adults
- Home to a pediatric level 1 trauma center to also provide care for minors with severe injuries due to emergency trauma
- Read more about the care available at Comer Children' Hospital
In addition to core rotations at Comer Children’s Hospital, residents also have the opportunity to rotate through multiple affiliated hospitals that offer unique learning experiences characterized by diversity of practice setting and patient populations. At La Rabida Children’s Hospital, residents receive specialized training in the care of children with complex chronic medical conditions. Inpatient, Hospitalist, NICU, and subspecialty elective rotations are offered at Evanston Hospital, NorthShore University Health System and provide an opportunity to learn and practice general pediatrics in a community hospital environment. Lastly, our residents also have the opportunity to rotate through the Inpatient service at St. Anthony Hospital, a community hospital located on the west-side of Chicago that serves a predominantly spanish-speaking population.
The Continuity Clinic experience allows residents to develop and manage their own primary care panel of patients longitudinally throughout their residency. Included in our clinic sites are:
Friend Family Health Center
- Cottage Grove Site
- Pulaski Site (spanish-speaking)
- Western Site
- Erie Family Health Center (spanish-speaking)